Hurricane Ida Flooding Assistance

Rep. Ocasio-Cortez and our team have collected the following resources to help you recover after the catastrophic flooding caused by Hurricane Ida.

To receive financial assistance after being displaced, experiencing property damages, or taking on additional child care costs because of this disaster: Apply for federal assistance through FEMA’s Individual Assistance (IA) program. This program is available to residents of Bronx, Queens, Kings, Richmond and Westchester counties, and can provide grants of up to $34,000 in assistance per person. In order to apply, you will need to provide:

  • Proof of identification and a social security number. Undocumented families CAN apply, if one person (even if they are a newborn) in the household has legal status; The individual with status should be listed as the primary applicant.
  • Your address, phone number, email address, current income (before taxes), and type of housing (rental, apartment, house, mobile home, etc)
  • If you have insurance, you will first need to file a claim with your company and then provide your policy information and an Insurance Determination Letter, which is a list of items or damages your insurance does not cover. FEMA cannot provide money to people or households for losses already covered by insurance. If you do not have insurance, you can still apply for this assistance.

For step-by-step instructions on how to apply, watch our video here.

If your application for aid is denied, you can file an appeal. Follow the appeal instructions here.

Undocumented families can apply for additional aid from New York State by calling by calling 1-800-566-7636.

To access help with understanding your insurance policy and preparing claims: The New York Department of Financial Services is running a hotline to assist anyone with questions regarding their insurance policies and how to prepare a claim. Reach out at (800) 339-1759 between 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

To talk with someone in person about what recovery resources are available to you: Service centers are open where individuals, families, and small business owners can talk to FEMA staff, representatives from the U.S. Small Business Administration about how to apply for relief and other resources and services available. These centers are open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to Saturday. Centers will be closed on Sundays.

  • The Bronx – Hostos Community College, 450 Grand Concourse E, Building C, Bronx 10451
  • Queens – Queens College, Student Union (152-45 Melbourne Ave, Flushing)

If you are a small-business owner who experienced damages from the storm: The NY Department of Small Business Services can connect you with community organizations that may help you identify the necessary steps to rebuild, as well as provide recovery resources including business relocation assistance, help with insurance questions, free legal advice and financing assistance. Submit your information here, or call 888-727-4692 for one-on-one assistance with an SBS representative.

For temporary housing assistance, you can also contact the Red Cross at 1-877-RED-CROSS or through this link.